I adore Caprese salad, and since I had a ton of kale in my garden, I decided to recreate it a bit. I reduced the balsamic vinegar to make it taste a bit like candy since my husband sometimes has trouble with it. Reducing the vinegar creates this beautiful candy-like texture and very sweet taste.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed, and ripped into tiny pieces
- 1-2 Tbsp basil, chiffonade
- Mozzarella cheese, as much or as little as you would like
- salt and pepper
- a couple drizzles of good quality olive oil or grapeseed oil
Bring balsamic vinegar to a simmer and let it reduce slowly over medium heat. Once it is reduced to half the amount, remove from heat. Toss the tomatoes, kale and basil together. Add olive oil, mozzarella, and salt and pepper. Toss. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Oh, and don’t forget to check out my recipe featured on Striving Onward yesterday. My version of Chinese food with eggplant, hoisin sauce, mushrooms, and snow pea pods.