Jeff turned twenty-five on Monday. I spent most of the day in the kitchen while he spent time with the babe. It was actually a nice day for all of us. We also got a couple’s massage, which we’ve decided will now become a tradition for our birthdays.
Jeff requested a cake inspired by one of his favorite video games,
Portal 2 Portal. I think I matched it pretty well.
Here’s how I did it:
- Find a dark chocolate cake mix. Make two 8-inch layers according to the package instructions. This cake was extremely moist and I think it was because I mixed the batter for two minutes with a wooden spoon.
- Let the two cakes cool. I placed them in the freezer for a couple of hours to make them easier to frost.
- Make this cream cheese frosting.
- Make this chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Place the cream cheese frosting in the center of the two layers (Note to self: add a lot more next time!).
- Cover the cake in the chocolate buttercream frosting.
To do this, you must create a crumb coat, which is a very thin layer of frosting spread across the entire cake. Use a water bottle to spray on the frosting which will spread it much easier. Once this coat has set slightly, you are free to frost the cake with a little more ease.
- Pipe eight dollops of cream cheese frosting around the cake. Add maraschino cherries on top.
Enjoy! It was very easy and my first attempt at a layered cake. I will definitely do it again.